I attended the Michigan Reading Association Conference this weekend and I will return to school tomorrow brimming with new ideas and tips to try, while possibly feeling a tiny bit tired. Here is my Top Ten List for the Conference:
1. Hearing Spoken Word Poet Malcolm London (Find his Ted Talk)
2. Listening to author Carrie Pearson’s presentation The Intersection of Fiction and Non- Fiction. Very smart work!
3. Lunch with two long time friends, Liz and Pam
4. Purchased a beautiful new picture book on the life of e. e. cummings- think April …
5. Went to a Poetry session with Georgia Heard! Love her!
6. Author Peter Brown shared his writing/illustrating process and career path. So much fun!
7. A second session with Georgia Heard on Revision!!! Can’t wait to try a couple of new ideas.
8. I presented a session on Teaching Poetry Throughout the School Year and….
had an interactive audience and functioning technology!
9. Went all out and splurged on valet parking (My suitcase of poetry books, although on wheels, was too heavy to lift into the trunk. Certainly had fun with the books though!
10. Went to a local theater tonight to see an interview with Christopher Paul Curtis and a special MRA showing of “The Watsons Go to Birmingham.” I left feeling sad but so glad I had gone.